In 2005, i am trying to figure out as much about the hidden chaos that exists in my life. I turned 27 this year, a new chapter in my life.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Oh New Years...

New Years is a wonderful time to renew relationships with old friends, as well as a time to develop new ones. That being said, I rang in the new year with a colorful cast of characters. I have to say, that was the most entertaining trips to Lucas, Texas, ever. No doubt.

Between ten people, we polished off ten bottles of champagne. The weird thing is none of us felt drunk. We were more sleepy than anything else. And I have to give Ms. Melinda mad crazy props on her chocolately Squares of Heavenly deliciousness. Hmmm...

Ahhh... and New Years day. Actually, I had more fun New Years night than during the day. I mean, seeing Bareback (Brokeback) Mountain was great. And crying with old and new friends was an unexpected bonding experience.

But, staring down at Ambs' giggley girls... all night... had to be the highlight of our outing.
It's up there with teaching Gregory about Stef's guide to checking out potential mates. Shoes first, damnit!

You know, I feel as though I'm not doing the best job describing how great the first day of 2006 actually was for me. So to be thorough, here is an email I wrote my bestest gal pal this week. I believe it gets the point across.


So, I had a fucking blast last weekend. It's also made me realize that having an attitude of needing to go out all the time is such a waste. It takes a combination of the right group of people and a well thought out plan to have a great time.

I love New Years because it forces me to take on new approaches to everyday situations. Up to this point, I've felt... not like a failure, but I have been impatient since everyone I know is living their life and moving closer towards their goals. After Sunday, I've been able to take a good look at how I approach life... school, work, friends, and romance.

It's amazing how one day can change your outlook. First we saw Brokeback Mountain, which made me recognize why I'm so afraid of talking to guys... or the wrong guys. I mean, good guys shouldn't be afraid to flirt; but we have to be careful. This world still isn't ready for us, but we have to stand out to assist the straighties during the transition.

You know, this last line would have seemed a bit strange coming from me if I hadn't just hung out with Gregory. I really like the effect he's had on me. And I love how's he's not stereotypical... like me. I keep saying he's a cross between me and James. He has the OCD behavior that I see as a normal strength and the love of knowledge and of French culture that James has.

If he were anyone else I think I would have been VERY intimidated, but I was not. You know how you complain about how gay men react to you? Like you're the Goddess Fag Mistress. I figure you're the Pope of the gay community, which is why you have the effect you do upon gay men. You are the single most positive influence that any gay man could ever have and Gregory, James, and I are the luckiest men on the planet because we have the privilege of knowing you and having you in our lives.

And it's not bizarre to me. Having you as my best gal pal, I know I'll be around for a while; even if my parents don't think so.

Honestly, on New Years Eve I felt like an ass as EVERYONE was aware of Biblical trivia, while I sooo was not. But, I'm special. I have only recently developed a love for knowledge as an adult. I am a positive victim of peer pressure. If my friends have interests in the arts and other news, I do too. I guess it goes along with that thing your SMU professor said. As an adult, you should surround yourself with people who are smarter than you.

Now all I keep thinking is I need companionship. Oh yeah, so Frankie's on his getting a promotion at A|X kick. Although he deserves it and I hope he gets promoted, I wish he had enough time to converse with me. Even though it's only been two weeks since we've had consistent communication with one another. I do miss it. Kinda like how you miss that guy from Austin.

If it seems like I'm rambling, it's probably because I just pounded down an entire bottle of Riesling with lunch. I need a nap.

Love,
Stef

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home