In 2005, i am trying to figure out as much about the hidden chaos that exists in my life. I turned 27 this year, a new chapter in my life.

Monday, September 05, 2005

It's very difficult to think of all the evacuees who are still without a home; and those who only have shells left of what they used to call home. Sure, I was in New Orleans on the last day of sanity. Friday, August 26th was a good, humid day. We almost got hit by a street car. We saw people jogging on the street car lines. We saw all the beautiful homes on St. Charles and had an incredible meal at Jaque-imo's.

People keep telling me, "wow, you got to enjoy it in it's last days." I got to experience New Orleans... finally. But, what about everyone else? I can't watch the news without shedding a few tears. This was another disaster at home. 911 and now this. Only difference is this (the levies not being able to withstand such force) was foreseen by many, yet was of little concern by the big wigs at the head of this country.

Now there are people from Louisiana, relocated all over Texas, trying to make a new start. My prayers go out to them . Not only because they've lost everything, but because most of these "refugees" are brown people who have lost everything. I turn in FOX news and all I see are a screen full of brown people like me. These are my brothas and sistas. Who's helping them now?

I would start sounding hateful, but I can't. Why? Because there are so many fortunate folks all over the US who want to help these people. My mother's reaction to the delay in assistance is "this is full fledges genocide!" I understand where she's coming from. New Orleans' poor population is so unreal. I don't think anyone knew how bad the poverty level + poor black population was until Katrina hit.

On the positive end, there are just as many people out there who want to help out. It's like a war recovery mission at home. As Americans, we tend to stick together during times of crisis. It's weird, 'cuz at the same time we'll tend to cuss each other out during rush hour. God bless America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home