In 2005, i am trying to figure out as much about the hidden chaos that exists in my life. I turned 27 this year, a new chapter in my life.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I GOTS A JOB!!!

Yeah, so with all the excitement of my FINALLY getting a cool job; I realized I may have missed a few details with all the conversations I had with folks today. So here goes.

Okay, so yesterday I attempted to be productive despite the fact I couldn't leave since the house is being remodeled and I couldn't leave the workers here alone. SO while my mom was out, I decided to check all our email. After I did that I received a call from an unknown number. I answered and this guy said he found my resumé inline and asked if I was still looking for work.

I was slightly apprehensive as the last over the phone work inquiry was from CITI Financial desperately searching for sales reps. Not quite graphic design. Anyway, I informed the gentleman that I was in fact still looking for work. Then he said the magic words, "We're a web design/web hosting company..." That's all I needed to hear. So Dan (the owner) said he wanted to meet with me. This was about 11:30 in the a.m. I asked when. He said "..Today at 3p.m." I said "Great! See you at three."

Of course I was hootin' and hollerin' over the fact an web deign firm wanted to talk to me. But I soon became super panicked since I am still rusty with my web-tech lingo and current industry news. So I hopped on the computer and did a little pre-interview cram. Once I got to the place and got a chance to talk to everyone and show off my stuff, I realized I had nothing to be stressed out about. This shows how long it's been since I've had a job. I forgot I had to fill out an application. No big, right? It sucked because I can NEVER remember phone numbers or addresses of past employers. And I'm really surprised that I don't already have a document will all that info somewhere.

I'm usually better prepared for such situations. Okay, so the company is called Marketcenter Technologies. It's in the Heritage district in Irving(nowhere close to me). They've been around for 8 years. It's a small operation with three peeps + me. The owner is the Project manager. His daughter is a designer. And his nephew is the Programmer. The company offers web design and maintenance + web hosting. My email address there is: stefan@marketcenter.net. Our url is http://www.marketcenter.net

Okay, so back to the interview. After I finished filling out + editing the layout of the application, I met with Dan Cavazos and his daughter. I have no idea what her name is and I'm having trouble remembering the nephew's name also. Hmmm. That's no good. Anyway, Dan talked to me about the company; where it's been and where it's headed. Like I wrote before, they're a small operation. they've been around for eight years and now they're at the point where they have more work than they can handle. Enter Stefan. At some point, Dan asked if I would be able to take a concept and turn it into a finished product. I told him I was, then I busted out the sketches + storyboards from MY CPappa website AND the storyboards, project proposal and other planning materials from my Ben Sherman website.

"We don't even get that involved... yet," was the comment that was made after taking a good look at my mad crazy planning skills. Yeah, so after that they showed me their facility. It's a two story shop. It was a coffee bar. The counter's still in place, but they have a really cool ultramarine blue, some chrome and exposed brick thing goin' on there. It's very nice. ALL their hardware is Dell. Flat screen monitors, servers, desktops, printers. All Dell. All pricy. All worth it.

After the tour, Dan took me in his office and continued on about his goals for the company and how now they're at the point where they have all the equipment they need (for now), plus office expandable space that they can invest expanding their core staff. I loved it because this guy and I are sooo like-minded. After the business chat, I asked about the area of town he chose to setup shop and stuff like that. To show I'm not simply interested in earning wage; that I'm a real person too.

So I said my good byes and thank yous. Dan then informed me they had a couple more people to meet with and he would be making a hiring decision before the end of the week. I received an offer today at 1:30p.m. How great is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home